Prenatal Parenting Programmes

Home Page Forums What’s happening in the world of ECD? Prenatal Parenting Programmes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michaela Howell 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Valerie Unite
    Keymaster

I have heard about the Welcome to the World Programme in Bradford? Does anybody know about it?

• #17667 Reply

Merle Davies

I have heard of Bradford Better Start’s ‘Welcome to the World’ programme and I hope that is proves to be as successful and well attended as our Blackpool Better Start version called ‘Baby Steps’.
    Baby Steps is a programme designed to support parents so they are able to manage the emotional and physical transition into parenthood. Parents join Baby Steps in the 28th week of pregnancy and then have seven weekly sessions before baby is born, and three weekly sessions once the baby has arrived. These practical and interactive sessions are fantastic for supporting parents and helping them to develop social support networks. More details of the programme can be found here
    Both Baby Steps and Welcome to the World are programmes designed to give babies the best start in life.

• #17668 Reply

Valerie Unite
    Keymaster

Thank you very much dear Merle! I clicked on the link you provided, and I find this an amazing programme, so needed and so helpful for parents-to-be.
    I have a question: Do the health visitors visit the mothers or do the mothers go to a Family Center, or both?
    Thank you.

• #17681 Reply

Michaela Howell

The venue is really important – you make a good point Valerie. In the home, the health visitors are able to really assess the environment and often parents are more comfortable. This can also be true of a local children’s centre or community centre where the parents are already engaged in a range of activities and trust the staff there. We found that 90% of our women were not accessing ante natal parenting support when offered at the hospital as it was too far to travel and too impersonal. That’s why we have introduced a community based alternative.

Reply To: Prenatal Parenting Programmes
Your information:

Support the Mother and Child Manifesto - become a CEPPs Partner or Supporter.